In 2013 Henry competed in his very first cook-off in Corinth, MS and walked away with a 1st place win in Traditional Red! He was hooked!! He then discovered that he could NOT cook Red chill anymore that year, so it forced him to venture into the other categories. By the time the year was done, he had finished it as a quad winner.
Chili is now his way of life. Vacations, weekends and holidays all revolve around cook-offs! Chili cook-offs are like a family get together or reunion. If he’s not on the trail cooking chili, more than likely he’s at home working on a new recipe or cooking a pot of chili.
At the 2018 WCCC, it was announced that a new category would be added - Veggie. That really caught his attention and was intrigued with doing something new. He worked with Kelly from Mild Bills to develop a white chili power that delivered that same freshness and pop that all of their products do. He took the test product to Palm Coast, Fl. European Village cook-off in 2018 and placed 3rd place with it. Came back home and asked Kelly to adjust the spices. Thank you Kelly!! The rest is history, the inaugural 2019 Veggie World Champion!
1 White Onion - Diced
2 Jalapeños - Diced
2 ½ TBS Mild Bill’s K-H White Chili Powder
1 ½ tsp Mild Bill’s Garlic Granules
1 tsp Mild Bill’s Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Mild Bill’s 40K Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp McCormick’s White Pepper
1 TBS Knorr Selects Granulated Vegetable Bouillon
1 Cup Veggie Broth (any store brand)
¼ Cup Water
1 Lime - juiced
1 Cup Daisy Sour Cream
1 Cup Mexicana Table Cream
16 oz Gustoso White Cheese Dip
1 Head of Cauliflower Chopped (about 2 Cups)
1 - 8 oz can Del Monte yellow corn (drained)
1½ Cups Fresh Diced Roma Tomatoes
1 -15 oz Can Bush’s Best Black Beans (drained)
1 - 4 oz Can Hatch Select Hot Diced Green Chiles
1 Bunch Green Onions sliced thin
Instructions1. In a stock pot, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom and add diced onion and Jalapeños. Sauté until clear.
2. Add the first SIX "dry" ingredients above and sauté those ingredients for a few minutes. Stir often until all oil is absorbed.
3. Whisk in the water, veggie broth and lime juice and then add chopped cauliflower. Heat until slight boil -about 10-15 minutes. Let pot rest for 30 minutes.
4. Add sour cream, table cream and white cheese dip. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add canned corn, diced tomatoes, black beans and green chilies. Simmer very low for another 15-20 minutes.
6. Add sliced green onions and two pinches of celery salt. Stir pot counter clockwise.